Saturday, July 16

The End of a Saga

Yes, of course I watched Harry Potter.

What did I think of it? It was an apt finish for the movie series and did not make me feel swindled, but as usual the script wasn't written, and the movie wasn't directed, by George Lucas or Steven Spielberg, so I could always find one or two points to criticize.

But the point of this post is not to critic the movie. It's to celebrate it in a more specific manner. Severus Snape. My most favorite character from the first movie and through out the series. Yes, you guessed that this has something to do with his peculiarity, his mastery over his emotion and his obvious but often hidden potency and the even more hidden rumors of his goodness. My dark soul gravitates to such characters.

It was almost tear jerking when, during his last moments (yes, he dies in this movie, many people die, get over it) his last words brought into sharp focus the very first words he spoke when he burst into my life almost a decade ago. I heard them in my minds [ear]. I can give you his entire dialogue in a heart beat......ok, maybe a bit more time.

I was keen to see whether he would turn out to be a force for good or evil, just as I would be concern about what path I'd take if I had supernatural powers. And I was not disappointed. I won't give spoilers here but I must say I loved the angle that the movie took on this point.

My highlights in the movie? I'm torn between hearing Voldemort laughing and seeing Bellatrix being killed. Is it just me or are there distinct parallels between Voldemort and a character I'm compared to occasionally - Sheldon Cooper? The laughter, the awkward body movements and retarded feigned displays of emotion, it was all too familiar.

But at the end, it was sad. That was the end of an awesome movie series spanning the last decade. I grew up with that boy - Harry Potter. From the first movie in which he was virtually prepubescent to the last movie where he's beyond barely legal.

I'll miss looking forward to the next Harry Potter.

For this movie we didn't have someone high on smoked plant leaves, but it did have it's audience driven moments. There this time someone's phone rung - the default Nokia ring tone. And someone went like "For real?". Then this time Harry was at a brightly lit place and someone volunteered the much needed information "bright light". I guess everyone who had closed their eye at that point got indispensable info at this point. I know, boring.

The fact that I knew more than 10 people in the audience goes to show that the movie has a very specific following. For those who know what I mean, I wonder whether it has anything to do with the use of wands.

PS, the last two paragraphs were included as an afterthought due to duress. I felt the post needed more content. See what happens when a post does not come from the the heart? The heart? Haha (insert Voldemort/Sheldon type laughter here). The heart. Really!

2 comments:

I swear I had not read this post

Haha, it's ok to draw inspiration from me :p

Post a Comment

 
Twitter Bird Gadget