Wednesday, July 27

Reprieve

I've finally conceded and decided to give reprieve from my silence. It's been ages since I've post and I have actually gone 7 days without a single post. I've been partly resisting and partly uninspired, and even this is simply clutching at straws.

It's been an exciting one week with loads happening.

For instance, my housemate decided to test the limits of socialization and invited "a few" people over. This time, a few turned out to be 40+ on Saturday night. The house was so crowded, moving from the front door to the balcony was cardio. He was also ambitious enough to assume the bash would end at 11pm.

Now the one thing you must know about my dear housemate is that he suffers from a profound case of the nice. He cannot compel someone to do what's required/prudent/appropriate even when he has the right to, and he suffers terrible inconveniences for it. Now, I on the other hand have no qualms disappointing even good friends if it suits the larger agenda better,.......so I had no problem NOT helping him get out of the mess. A lesson had to be learnt. Ain't I such a caring angel?

So the boy had a stressful night, but I think it was not a complete waste of social torture. I remained behind to watch, mostly, with a few detours to town and to Westlands to take in some eye candy given that there were only 2 or 3 nice ones to look at the bash, all of them beyond my reach for one reason or the other.

I met with two lovely people on Sunday afternoon. One, an old young friend and another a new young friend. The latter has a crafty little mind and refreshing personality, and is cute (which is not to say the former is entirely without virtue).

On Monday afternoon I had my first public speaking event in years. In fact, I do not recall ever speaking in public before Monday. It was some week long training at the institution where I got my post graduate qualifications on a subject that I'm conversant with and so my boss asked if I wanted to present. I love the respect I'm given in this office, anyone else would have been told to do it, but I was given the option. Either they are used to my stubbornness and creativity at avoiding arduous tasks or they have actual respect for me - the former being more humbling and therefore more palatable to my conscientious self.

It went well, with the convener commending me for a well structured PowerPoint presentation and apparent command of the subject. Simple as the task was it was a feat on my part, marred only by the occasional shaky voice. I definitely do a better job in writing but I guess given my ambitions, I should try and get my oratory skills to be at par with my writing skills.

I've been busy of late, with July marking the race to meet annual financial targets, hence the reduced frequency of posts. This trend is likely to hold, and I must say I'm shocked I managed to sustain multiple posts per weeks for this long.

I'm increasingly learning to appreciate my friends, and the habit of making more friends, and, typically so, the habit of analyzing those friends and the things that move them.

2 comments:

:-) caring angel you are... #smh.

I found myself smiling towards the end, maybe coz of your almost planned developments, or something else, I don't know.

And on a random (nimelitumia neno hilo... Utado?) note, I'm listening to Karma Chameleon. Awesome song it is, and reminds me, always, of one whose apologetic fraction I have hardly seen.

Blame the weekend mental state but I don't think I fully understand what you're alluding to in the last two paragraphs. Looking at the lyrics of the song, I think it's half-ish true :)

Post a Comment

 
Twitter Bird Gadget